Sunday, July 8, 2007

Ice Cream and Dairy Products

When we try to lose weight, we have to look at what we are eating and evaluate whether it is worth it or not. In many instances there is a low point, low fat or low cal alternative that will satisfy us nearly as well. For example I like ice cream. I remember the shock of finding that one scoop mint chocolate chip ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery was over 20 points. That was my entire daily allowance of points and I am sure not going to waste it on ice cream. Just not worth it.

One of the changes I made early on was to watch the dairy products. They can have gobs and gobs of fat. I can still eat ice cream, but I choose to have Edy's Double Churned or frozen Frappucino bars. Both of these frozen treats are two points per serving. I also made the switch to skim milk, non-fat sour cream and low-fat shredded cheddar cheese that I use sparingly. I also bought myself a cool little cheese grater for parmesean cheese. It is sort of like those grater's that the waitresses at the Olive Garden use at your table. It is kind of fun and a little bit of work to get the cheese. This little extra work helps with portion control.