Sunday, July 22, 2007

Shopping at Wild Oats - Superfoods

Yesterday, we walked a couple miles over to a store called Wild Oats to get some vitamins. They are the only store in the area that carries the All One vitamin powder that my guy wanted. I'd never been to Wild Oats before although I have bought their products through Peapod many times. The store is absolutely wonderful. It is an organic supermarket and their deli area is like a little restaurant, they have the coolest gadgets, books, DVDs, toys, supplements, herbs, homeopathics, skin care and all things geared to the health and environmentally conscious shopper. They staff the nutritionals area with friendly people who know their stuff.

While shopping, I noticed some products were marked with a little tag on the shelf saying "superfoods". I had seen the term tossed around before, but this aroused my curiosity. Why would a can of diced tomatoes be called a "superfood" hmmmm.... My answer came when we went by the books and there was a book there called Superfoods Rx. These are foods that promote health and contain high concentrations of vital nutrients. Here is the list of superfoods from superfoodsrx.com:

Apples, Avocado, Beans, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cinnamon, Dark Chocolate, Dried SuperFruits, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Garlic, Honey, Kiwi, Low Fat Yogurt, Oats, Onions, Oranges, Pomegranates, Pumpkin, Soy, Spinach, Tea, Tomatoes, Turkey, Walnuts, and Wild Salmon.

What -- no Big Macs!!?? LOL

I will keep this list in mind as I continue my journey to weight loss and better health. I've been on a bit of a blueberry kick lately so I was happy to find them on the good list. According to Superfoods, blueberries reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and have incredibly high levels of antioxidant phytonutrients. They recommend a cup a day for the best results. (that would be 1 WW point per cup and it is also a core food).

As an aside, I also read somewhere that darker or brighter colored foods (naturally, of course) are generally healthier foods. For instance, spinach is healthier than iceberg lettuce. Blueberries were mentioned also. I've been having blueberries on my oatmeal or cereal. Anywhere strawberries can go, blueberries will go just as well or better.