Monday, March 31, 2008

When Life Gives You Sour Grapes, Make Homemade Grape Juice



We had a bunch of red grapes in the fridge that just weren't sweet enough and nobody was eating them. I took them out (about to toss them) and said to my guy, do you want to eat these, they are really sour. He said don't throw them away, I'll make grape juice... and that is exactly what he did. It was delightful. He took the grapes, washed them, threw them in the blender with water, honey and powdered cloves, zapped and strained it and voila... the most delicious grape juice in the whole wide world.

Why the cloves you ask. For flavor, of course and there is also something in cloves that helps cleanse your system and kills eggs of parasites (if you have them), according to Dr. Suzanne Gudakunst's book. We just wanted something unusually yummy though.

One of the interesting things about living with a guy who spent so long in South America is that down there they really know a lot more about fruits and veggies. Making grape juice (and other juices) is quite common in the culture he lived in. This is the guy who makes stewed apples/homemade applesauce and turned me on to chayote, what he calls shoo-shoo. He also cuts up fresh pineapples for me all the time because he knows I love it. I sure am increasing my fruit and veggie intake and loving it!