Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stewed Apples and Oatmeal

Over the weekend we made some stewed apples. It is like homemade chunky applesauce and is absolutely wonderful. It is also really easy to make. You take a bunch of apples, slice and core them. (I have a little gizmo that does this.) Do not peel the apples. Toss them into the food process and zap 'em till they are small pieces. Throw them into the pot, add cinnamon, cloves and honey to taste and cook down for about an hour. Your house will smell soooo good, like baking an apple pie. Stewed apples are good hot or cold. Try them.

Sunday morning I decided I wanted to try them in oatmeal. I sometimes eat the instant cinnamon oatmeal such as the Quaker weight loss oatmeal. This time I made the old fashioned oatmeal from the drum, added some of the homemade apple sauce, a little more cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and a bit of wheatgerm and honey. I also added some coffee mate fat free French vanilla to the skim milk I pour over it. This was the best damn oatmeal I've ever tasted!

I do have a major sweet tooth and have gradually switched over to Splenda and honey as sweeteners. I put honey on grapefruit and it is yummy. I have heard a bit about Stevia and will probably start using that as well but I don't get to the stores that sell it much and from what I've read, it tastes a bit like licorice at first and is quite expensive. For now I am trying to adjust to things less sweet, such as coffee. One Spenda packet in a big cup of joe does it for me now. It used to take about 3 teaspoons of sugar or two Splendas. I'm making progress on cutting sugar and moving towards whole foods....